Hello Shelly from America

Opuwo, Namibia is a town of only about 12,000 people but serves as a cultural center where many of this remote northern Namibians’ tribal people send their children to school and come to trade their wares. On our way up to Epupa Falls, which is right on the Angola border, we stopped in Opuwo to stock up on supplies. I was to keep watch over our truck while Michael and our guide went to shop at the local food store.

The back of our truck had a door which opened to reveal steps to the ground. I sat on those stairs and looked out onto the town where lots of people were scurrying; many in tribal dress, Himbas with their red ochre covered bodies and hair, animal skin skirt and beaded jewels as well as Damara woman in full colorful dresses and hats with what resembled horns honoring cattle . As soon as the boys left me I was surrounded by people wanting either a hand out or to sell me something. Had this been the first time I had encountered such a mob I would have been nervous and scared but it wasn’t and I knew they meant no harm, instead were just trying to take full advantage of an opportunity.

I made it clear I was not interested in buying anything, nor did I have anything to give them. (If you give anything in this environment you can get overwhelmed with an abundance of people who also want a handout.) Instead, I picked out one girl who seemed friendly and spoke good English and I began a conversation with her.

This girl was a Himba wearing her tribal costume. I asked about the HImba customs of dress. We talked about her children; their ages and names. We discussed the Namibian governments’ stance on educating Himba children and more. Then she asked me a few questions. Her first was where I was from. When I told her I was from America which was easier than saying the United States. She - with her world being so small, probably thought America was down the road or only a few hours away; another small town in Nambia perhaps - asked if I knew Shelly from the America. Seemingly another traveler from the States came through Opuwo and made an impression on this young girl. Since both Shelly and I were from the same place, it seemed reasonable to her that we might know one another.

I told the young girl that I did not know Shelly. She said if I ever met Shelly to tell her hello. So Shelly, from American, who at some point or another passed through Opuwo, Namibia, this is your hello from a bright young enthusiastic Himba girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment