Need an Injection of African Chill Please

Airports, hotels, rental car facilities, hustle and bustle; it’s what one experiences when traveling in the States on a regular basis as I do; sometime week after week. The frustrations come frequently and the true comforts are rare. Some weeks it seems everything is a hassle.


Today, while rushing around in my rental car in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida I had a memory that made me smile. It was four years ago. I had flown from Atlanta, Georgia to Johannesburg, South Africa; a long flight then got a well needed night’s sleep at a lovely bed and breakfast. The next day, relaxed and feeling the laid back African way slowly injecting itself into my veins; I arrived back at the Johannesburg airport where I boarded a flight to Nelspruit, South Africa. From there I was to rent a car and drive into the Kruger National Park. Dean, my amazingly efficient booking agent who lives in South Africa and arranges all of my African travel, had sent me his usual vouchers showing I had prepaid for each activity, accommodation and transportation. (At that point, I had been traveling for over twenty four hours and was yet to get to my destination of Kruger National Park.) After landing among the lush hills of Nelspruit, I walked from the plane to the quaint airport smelling the recent rains and smiling knowing I was another step closer to Kruger.

Nelspruit Airport - South Africa
Once inside the airport I stepped up to the carrousel to claim my bag. After gathering my backpack I walked past security to the open area of the airport which reminded me of a train station; a wide and long passageway with tall rounded ceilings housing a couple of shops and restaurants and the rental car windows. I walked up to my rental car counter and greeted the gentleman behind the counter. (You see, unlike in the States, it is proper to acknowledge and properly greet people before proceeding with business – a tradition I have brought back with me to the States.) I handed him my voucher. He proceeded to punch some information into his computer then made mention that he didn’t show this reservation prepaid. My shoulders slumped as my high from being in Nelspruit, so close to Kruger, receded thinking I was about to face a “situation”. After commenting on that he took my driver’s license and punched a few more things into his computer then walked away from the counter. He came back to the counter with keys which he handed me and said, “Your car is in slot C7. I hope you will enjoy your stay in South Africa.” I was kind of stunned. I said, “What about the fact you don’t show my reservation prepaid?” The man said, “Miss Atkinson. You have given me your voucher. That concludes your responsibility. I shall take that matter up with your booking agent. Your only responsibility now is to relax and enjoy your holiday.” And with that I was dismissed.

I stood there for several minutes in complete astonishment; almost let down as I had prepared for a battle that didn’t take place. I had trained for the marathon I didn’t run. I had… oh you get the point. In the States that would have been a “situation” for sure. In South Africa, it was dealt with in South African fashion. It’s part of my great love for Africa. Things are just handled. Mountains aren’t made of mole hills. In Africa I am reminded to chill and leave all of my high strung ways of travel far behind and just take on my only responsibility of enjoying the day; enjoying my holiday.

It’s been a long busy year. I am only weeks away from my annual African retreat and boy do I need it. I need my annual injection of chill. I am ready to be reminded of how to relax and enjoy my holiday!

Gotta go - they are calling my flight....

No comments:

Post a Comment