Carnage

The other day I watched a bird attack a small lizard just in front of my house.  The lizard tried every trick in his arsenal to get away including detaching his tail which continued to twitch in the road; a failed decoy.  The bird was wise to the little lizards' trick and after great effort, (and my failed attempt to help) the bird killed and ate his prize.  I felt sorry for the lizard.

Saying that, I have to wonder why in Africa on safari seeing a "kill" is the ultimate safari success story.  When people gather around an evening campfire in Africa inevitably they brag about the kills they have seen.

I would drive and see lion stalking a herd of impala and my nerves would stand on end awaiting the successful finale or the not so successful finale if you are the impala.  One night just outside of my tent I heard an awful noise waking me from sleep. The sound was that of terror and death.  The next day I found, just outside of camp, three male lion that had taken down a huge buffalo; no doubt what I heard. I sat for hours watching the lion eat their meal.


One would think a leopard sighting would be enough, but in Botswana I held my breath as the leopard I came upon watched, as still as death, a Frankolin, (a very lound bird belonging to the pheasant family) who was coming - unknowingly - closer and closer to the leopard's awaiting jaws. But the bird flew away as soon as the young leopard made his move.  A big disappointing "ahhhh" came across my mouth as soon as the failed stalk was over.

Let me not forget the time on the Chobe River when I came upon three young male lion that had a lone buffalo surrounded; determined to have buff for dinner.  There was no stalk.  The lion had the buffalo outnumbered and all alone with no backup buffs to help.  Barely breathing, I watched one of the lion take a muscle powered swat at the buffalo's hind leg, breaking it like it was a dead twig. When I realized the leg was broken I was sure I was about to see carnage.  But the buffalo was not about to give up that easily fighting back, threatening the lion with his massive horns.  Not wanting to risk getting hurt the lions backed off.  Sun began to set as the stand off continued and disappointingly I had to get back to camp....


In all my trips to the continent of Africa, (thirteen at last count) I have seen plenty of stalking and plenty of predators eating prey but as of today I have never seen true carnage except for a fish eagle and a kingfisher catch and eat a fish and the bird eat that little lizard in my front yard the other day which made me wonder.  When I do see the kill in Africa - when and not if - am I going to wish I could rescue the prey animal?  Will I fell sorry for the critter?  I hope I get the chance to find out on my upcoming trip!


5 comments:

  1. carnage.... i like the part when the three lions cut cut off the buff. Nice blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and for commenting. After just returning from another trip we laugh at our search for carnage and then when we see it we feel sorry for the victim.

      Delete
  2. The migration is on in Masai Mara for wildebeests and zebras, this is a better way to see the carnage live from the crocodiles to a waiting lion on the other side to leopards, cheaters etc. To relax yourself and recapture the sceneries you experienced a coast excursion and relaxation at the beach will be a great idea. Where do you plan to go next? I love your books and blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Pauline. I am off to Kruger National Park this fall. I love the freedome that place offers not needing a guide or driver...... Can't wait. Thank you for your support of my writings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok, can't wait for your report... enjoy your trip and what south Africa offers, you are also welcome to kenya for a safari to the wild.

      Delete