Africa's people

My Tanzanian Guide
I had a conversation with a local man at a lodge in Botswana. He was jovial with a big bold laugh and excited to chat with me about life in the United States verses life in Botswana. It was clear he loved his homeland. He recognized Botswana’s beauty and the rarity of the abundance of wildlife and wild land in his country. And although he knew financial opportunities were greater elsewhere in the world, he had no desires to leave or raise his children anywhere other than Botswana.

Just jumping around with Maasai
I asked him about the education system in his country. He told me he must pay only a small amount per school term for his children to attend as long as his kids maintained passing grades. Should a child fail a grade, the parents then have to pay a much higher fee for the child to repeat that term and continue to pay that higher fee up until that child improves his or her grades. I was impressed. This system encourages parents to get involved with their child’s education since they literally have a vested interest.

In Zimbabwe, I conversed with a local fisherman who was born and raised there. He told me despite the struggles in his country; he had no intention of leaving as there was no better place to fish and no country in the world as beautiful as his.

Many believe the people of these “third world” countries would climb mountains and valleys, swim crocodile infested rivers to leave and come to a country such as the United States but that simply isn’t true. And many falsely think the people in a country like Zimbabwe - with its political turmoil and dictator president - are all miserable or can’t imagine that a country such as Botswana would have such an innovative approach to education.

Hanging with Himba
For the last ten years I have spent time in Africa; eleven trips now – thirteen countries. The reasons I continue to go back are the same reasons many people that live there have no desire to leave. Africa is diverse, wild and beautiful. African people – and I realize that is a very general term – are inspirational. They have had to find unique ways of dealing with day to day struggles. They fight hard to make sure their situations improve and that their children are educated. People have hope and are motivated like none other given an opportunity to improve their lives. African people are some of the most generous I have ever encountered – even if they have nothing to give, they still give; even if it is of their time, a smile or kind words. They are thrilled to chat; quick to smile, laugh often and don’t take life too seriously. And they love and are proud of their homelands.

My Guide on the Namibia trip
Our media is guilty of showing only three things about Africa; war, famine and animals. Reality is there are so many more dimensions to these places and people. I am a better person today for having spent as much time in Africa as I have, encountering the people of her land. I could fill pages and pages of this blog going into detail about the many wonderful Africans I have had the pleasure of getting to know; black, white, rich, poor, educated and not; each offering me lessons in life I walk with every day.

I hope - through this blog - I open your mind to a reality of Africa you didn’t realize existed; maybe even entice you to plan a trip so you can see the wonders of Africa for yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment