Ebola and My Trip to Africa

Excitedly I have booked my next trip to Africa headed to Cape Town and Kruger National Park in South Africa.  I can see the thoughts bubbling even before the words come out of their mouth, "Aren't you afraid of Ebola," they ask.

Many see Africa as one place; one country; a singular location.  Africa is a huge continent with fifty-four different countries.  You can fit the United States, India, China and all of Europe onto the continent of Africa shoulder to shoulder and still have plenty of wide open spaces left over.  

 
I am traveling to South Africa.  In South Africa I will be over 3,500 miles from where the major  Ebola outbreaks are.  Spain is only 2,300 miles from the affected West African countries and I have heard of no one canceling trips to Spain because of Ebola.  My flight is direct from Atlanta to Johannesburg; very unlikely it will be carrying anyone from the affected West African countries. 

In all actuality, Ebola is much closer to me right here at home in Atlanta than it will be in South Africa.  I live only a few miles from the hospital where the first two Ebola patients were treated and released and where a third patient has now been delivered.  I fly domestically on a regular bases.  As recently discovered we are not prepared for Ebola here in the US and if I would have been on that Frontier Airlines flight I had a greater chance of catching the disease than I do by going to South Africa.

I have traveled to South Africa during medical scares before.  I think bird flu was the last one.  When I arrived in the country I had to have my temperature taken to ensure I wasn't sick.  In all my international travels I have never had to do that reentering the States.  That is a measure we are just now implementing.  Also, there are no Ebola cases in South Africa.  That can't be said for the United States.

I will not risk my life to go on this trip.  Should I feel like it is risky to go, I will cancel the trip.  But for now I see no reason at all to cancel. 

I can't wait to be back in my favorite country disconnected from electronics and most assuredly I look forward to being away from the media hype!

I can almost see in my minds' eye the vast amount of stars as I step out from under the thatched roof of my hut.  Perhaps there will be a lion roaring in the distance.... Ahhh  Africa here we come!

4 comments:

  1. I have a trip planned for next month which has been planned for over a year. I am getting the same response but find it as a good reason for some peace at home when I return. I want to tell some of the people that dealing with them over the years has been so horrible that I can even get the "fear affect" when I hear Ebola. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I would not go Ebola is for real they have no idea how it spreads remember it might be safe going but coming back you have no idea where the passenger next to you came from what part of Africa,

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice blog
    http://nepalonetours.com/tour-in-nepal

    ReplyDelete