Did Mosquitos Save Wildlife?

While sitting around camp during the heat of the day in the Seronga area of the Okavango Delta in Botswana, casually conversing with my guide, an interesting theory was proposed. Did malaria save the wildlife in areas such as the one we were in? At first blush it sounded like a far-fetched theory, but this guy was very knowledgeable and had piqued my interest enough by his proposal to cause me to sit up in my hammock and ask for more information.


The guide asked me, knowing my vast knowledge of Africa, if I had noticed that the areas with the most wildlife today are all in malaria areas; Maasai Mara in Kenya, Serengeti in Tanzania, Okavango Delta in Botswana, Kruger National Park in South Africa and so many more in Africa and around the world. It was not a thought that had ever crossed my mind nor a theory every suggested to me. I had also never read anything of the sort in the many magazines or books on the subjects of Africa or African wildlife but was intrigued. He continued with his theory; me now on the edge of my hammock listening intently.

Hunters of days gone by, he explained, could only go into malaria areas for about one month a year; the coldest month, the only month without malaria carrying mosquitos during a time before Malaria prophylactics meaning if the hunters came any of the other months, it was like committing malaria suicide. Since these hunters were only killing animals for about one month a year, the animals had another eleven months to flourish and breed in peace therefore their numbers recovered easily and they thrived and still thrive today. During the other eleven months of the year hunters went to areas where malaria was not prevalent. These areas were eventually hunted to the point of the depletion of all of the wildlife and still today do not contain animals unless the animals were reintroduced and the land is contained in some manner.

When explained in that fashion it seems completely possible that indeed mosquitos saved the wildlife in some of the most amazing places today to visit and observe the world’s most incredible animals in their natural environment.

Cheers to the mosquito! And thank you to my guide for introducing me to a theory I would have never contemplated.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment