African Five Steppers

In Africa, there are many snakes that some call “five steppers” meaning you has five steps to take after being bitten before you die. It’s a bit extreme and perhaps exaggerated however there are indeed many snakes in Africa that will kill you, or, if not kill you, cause you great pain and harm. You have to stay aware of your surroundings while there.

Only four days into this recent trip, a camp mate had already seen a bush snake near the toilet and I an egg eating adder so snakes were on my mind but easily forgotten as the days drift by and the relaxed environment of Africa began to flow through my veins.

At a camp in Maun, Botswana that seemed safe from wild animals, it had already been decided that I was going to sleep in the open without a tent so I put my mat and mattress on the grass veld then proceeded to the makeshift bar for an evening cocktail; some scurried off to the showers.

Others were already at the bar when I headed that way using my flashlight to light my steps when suddenly I froze. There, in my path, was a large snake coiled up enjoying the warmth of the rocks that lay defining the way to the bar. I remained still and calm but kept my light on the snake while calling for the bar man (who was managing this camp) to come and identify the snake. I called out only as loud as I needed to so as not to disturb the snake, “Johan. Snake.”

The bar man came rushing just as the snake slithered off towards the rocks nearby. The snake seemingly uncoiled for a long time revealing a long thick body. Johan arrived as the snake began to slither into a crack between two large boulders. At first he thought it to be a black mamba which sent me into a bit of a panic because a black mamba is not only deadly but also very aggressive. A second look assured us it was a Mozambique spitting cobra instead; a venomous snake indeed but much less of a danger than a black mamba.

I felt somewhat privileged to see this snake peacefully in my path but silently was a bit nervous too. At the bar my camp mate expressed that she was quite worried about the fact that I just came across a venomous snake at night in the same vicinity that she was considering sleeping in the open without a tent. I assured her that I was still going to sleep in the open and that this snake would not bother her in the night…. In truth and honesty, I needed assuring too, but I had to believe what I had read and the studied that these snakes would simply crawl over you in the night as opposed to bite you while you are sleeping. They would only bite a human if threatened.

Africa – she’s a true test of your belief, will and mind power…. She takes over your being and makes you a stronger person whether you are in for it or not!!! If you are going to Africa, you had better be in for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment