Sleeping Under the African Stars

When I speak of sleeping in a tent in Africa amongst the wild animals, many think I have lost my mind. They really shake their heads when I tell them that several nights on my recent trip to Botswana I slept in the open with not even a tent.


Photo Courtesy of Dr. Andreas Frank
One such opportunity was in the Makgadikgadi Pans, a salt pan so large it is clearly visible from Google Earth or any other aerial shot over northern Botswana. I was told the only real danger in the area was of mosquito or ostrich visiting in the night. (Only occasionally does a lion or hyena wander by.) It was windy so mosquitos were grounded and as far as ostrich I learned that if I lay still on my stomach they cannot do much harm however may do the tango on my back.

There was a light breeze all night that kept the temperature perfect; a respite from the days extreme heat. I awoke several times, not because my sleep was disturbed, but because I wanted to take it all in. At midnight my eyes opened to a bright moon illuminating the blowing reeds. A few hours later I awoke again. The moon had set leaving a plethora of stars shining brilliantly and hanging low over my head like a chandelier from the heavens. By five in the morning the warm sun was beginning to rise in complete silence; I could almost hear the chill rushing off with the waning night. Fading stars and a faint horizon was all that was visible in every direction.

It was one of the most peaceful nights of my life. Nothing came; not even a buzzing mosquito or a dancing ostrich.

No comments:

Post a Comment