Kruger's Big Tusker

Before going to Kruger National Park in 2008 I read that Duke, the biggest tusked Elephant in the park, had broken off his only remaining tusk.



My first glance at the big guy - could it be?

While staying at Lataba camp I attended the Elephant Hall museum before setting out on an afternoon game drive. I asked the attendant at the museum what elephant now held the title of largest tusks in the park. The very informative person said the newly reigned elephant was named Hlanganani. She said I would recognize him not only by his huge tusks, but also by the fact his left ear was shaped a particular way; almost shorter than his right ear or ripped off at the bottom.


I left Lataba camp and headed north on the H1-6. Just north of camp there is a bridge where you can get out of your vehicle in between the yellow lines, (these lines supposedly give you enough time to get back in your car should a dangerous animal approach the bridge). I stopped, got out of my car with my binoculars and camera to see what I could see. After only a few minutes an elephant family came out of the trees heading for the river below. They had adorable babies in tow and I settled in to watch. As I watched and photographed these guys, out from the other side of the river came a huge male. I looked at him through my binoculars and saw amazingly large tusks; like I have only seen once before in the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania. As he came out into the clearing I could see, through my binoculars, his left ear and see that he was indeed Hlanganani. What a privilege. He was stunning. I could not believe how big he was and how long his tusks were nor could I believe my luck of seeing him after just being told about him minutes before.


It was indeed.  What an amazing animal!
It wasn’t long after my return from that trip that I read somewhere, but have never been able to confirm, that Hlanganani was killed in a fight with another bull elephant. It’s super sad but I know that nature takes care of itself.

I wonder who the big tusker is today. Whoever you are I can’t wait to meet you! May your reign be long.


No comments:

Post a Comment